Friday, June 9, 2017

The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

By Paco Roca

Published by NBM

The Lighthouse is a nice little story. It's about a Spanish soldier in WWII, who has to flee the Fascists and ends up in a French lighthouse. The Lighthouse keeper takes him in temporarily, and cares for him as he recovers from his injuries, all the while harvesting things from the sea and telling tails of far off lands.There isn't much more to say about this one. It's more of a short story compared to some of the other books I've reviewed. 

I really like this book, but it has some flaws. What book doesn't? The main character is bumbling and naive, and the lighthouse keeper is a dreamer and a story teller, and they have good chemistry. While I do think the main character may be written as a bit too dumb for his own good, I'm willing to let it slide. The plot is simple and short. It works for the most part, save for the second to last scene, which I won't spoil but rubbed me the wrong way. Over all, it's flaws don't way it down too much. 

TL;DR: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment