Friday, November 3, 2017

The Can Opener's Daughter

The Can Opener's Daughter

By Rob Davis

Published By Self Made Hero

This is actually a sequel to another book that I haven't read (The Motherless Oven). Keep that in mind.

I've read it twice and still don't completely understand what happened. The book stars Vera Pike, the daughter of what seems to be a powerful god, the weather clock. Throughout the book, she is trying to live in this world where death only comes via suicide, while trying to break away from her mother and find out how this dual layered world truly works. This is the best explanation I could give of the plot. It's a tangled mess that leaves a lot out.

I quite liked this book, but I do have very bizarre taste. I thought the world was fascinating and unique, and has a lot of places where it can expand. The characters are decent, all making sense in this world. The plot can be pretty obtuse, without a strong sense of time between the scenes, so you you can get a bit lost. This book does leave itself a bit too open-ended, but is weird enough to make it work. If you do pick this one up, read it twice. Even then I still don't entirely understand.

TLDR: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment